Japanese sunscreens are known for their high quality and excellent performance. Moreover, Japanese manufacturers often use advanced technologies and high-quality ingredients to create sunscreens that provide effective protection against the harmfu UV rays. But one of the main reasons why these sunscreens are so popular is simply because they are pleasant to use! Many Japanese mineral sunscreens are formulated with skin-nourishing ingredients, such as hyaluronic acid, collagen, and ceramides, which can help keep the skin hydrated and supple. Some also have a pleasant fragrance or other features, such as being water-resistant or sweat-resistant, which can make them more enjoyable to use. Here’s our top 5 list of the best Japanese mineral sunscreen.
At a glance:
- Best for oily skin: Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence SPF 50+
- Best for combo skin: Skin Aqua UV Super Moisture Gel SPF 50+
- For outdoor activities: Shiseido Anessa Perfect UV Sunscreen Skincare Milk SPF 50+
- Overall best Japanese mineral sunscreen: Sofina Beaute UV Emulsion Facial Sunscreen SPF50+
- Universal (moisturizing, for all skin types): Kose Suncut Sunscreen Gel SPF50+
Top 5 Best Japanese Mineral Sunscreens
Note that mineral sunscreens tend to be gentler on the skin and are often preferred by those with sensitive skin. However, they can also leave a white cast on the dark skin if not formulated properly.
Overall, Japanese mineral sunscreens are a great option for those looking for effective sun protection that is gentle on the skin and comfortable to wear. They offer a range of benefits that can help to keep your skin healthy and protected from the damaging effects of the sun. When choosing a mineral or physical sunscreen, be sure to consider your skin type and any other specific needs or preferences you may have. Upon our research, we identified the following Japanese skincare brands that offer the best mineral-based sunscreens, which are available for purchase in the USA.
Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence SPF 50+
This lightweight and non-greasy sunscreen is one of the most popular Japanese sunscreens. It contains a blend of mineral and chemical filters and is water-resistant for up to 80 minutes. If you have sensitive, oily or acne prone skin, you’ll enjoy the moisturizing and quick-absorbing formula of this product.
Skin Aqua UV Super Moisture Gel SPF 50+
Looking for something more nourishing? Then try this mineral sunscreen that has a gel-like texture, absorbs quickly into the skin, and leaves no white cast. In addition to containing a blend of mineral and chemical filters, it also includes hyaluronic acid and collagen to hydrate the skin. Great option for those with combination skin.
Shiseido Anessa Perfect UV Sunscreen Skincare Milk SPF 50+
This Anessa sunscreen is known for its excellent water and sweat resistance, making it a popular choice and the best japanese mineral sunscreen for outdoor activities. It contains a blend of mineral and chemical filters, including zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, for effective sun protection. And the tip applicator makes it easy to apply since the texture of this product has thin liquid consistency.
Sofina Beaute UV Emulsion Facial Sunscreen SPF50+
Kose Suncut Sunscreen Gel SPF50+
If you are looking for a universal sunscreen for all skin types that can be used on the body and face, this is it! This sunscreen is a hybrid mineral-chemical sunscreen that contains zinc oxide and octinoxate for sun protection. It has a gel-like texture that spreads easily and absorbs quickly, leaving no white cast. And you’ll appreciate that this product contains 10 moisturizing ingredients for optimal skin comfort.
Benefits Of Using Japanese Sunscreen
Japanese mineral sunscreens offer several benefits for skin including:
- Effective sun protection: Japanese mineral sunscreens typically contain active ingredient like zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide, which provide broad-spectrum UVA and UVB protection. These minerals sit on top of the skin and reflect UV and UVB rays away from the skin, providing an effective barrier against sun damage. This is important because both types of rays can cause skin damage, including premature aging, sunburn, and skin cancer.
- Light and non-greasy: These type of sunscreens are typically formulated to be lightweight and non-greasy, making them comfortable to wear on the skin. They absorb quickly into the skin and do not leave a heavy or greasy feeling.
- Non-irritating: Japanese mineral sunscreens are often formulated with gentle, non-irritating ingredients that are suitable for sensitive skin. They are also free from potentially harmful chemicals like oxybenzone and octinoxate, which can cause skin irritation.
- Water-resistant: Many Japanese mineral sunscreens are water-resistant, meaning they provide UV protection even when you’re sweating or swimming. This makes them a great choice for outdoor activities or sports.
- Skin-nourishing ingredients: These products often contain skin-nourishing ingredients like hyaluronic acid, collagen, and ceramides. Not only these ingredients can help to hydrate and protect the skin, but also improve its overall texture and appearance.
Overall, Japanese mineral sunscreens are a great option for those looking for effective broad spectrum SPF sun protection that is gentle on the skin and comfortable to wear. They offer a range of benefits that can help to keep your skin healthy and protected from the damaging effects of ultraviolet rays.