Ultrasonic skin scrubber is a relatively new beauty device that is gaining its popularity among estheticians and at-home users. This tool goes by different names and is often referred to as skin spatula, ultrasonic spatula, ultrasonic wand or ultrasonic face scrubber. Overall, it’s considered a superior alternative to manual extraction, and physical exfoliation like scrubs or cleansing brushes. In this post we’ll explore the main benefits of ultrasonic skin scrubber, discuss who’s the best candidate to this tool, and review some of the best face spatulas for home use.
What Is Ultrasonic Scrubber
Ultrasonic skin scrubber or spatula is an electronic facial device that provides deep cleansing and gentle exfoliation by producing ultrasonic waves. Those ultrasound waves (also known as elastic vibrations) are high frequency vibrations that help loosen up skin oils, dirt, dead skin and impurities. For example, an average ultrasonic skin spatula can produce about 24,000-33,000 (Hz) pulses per second!
How does it work?
Ultrasonic facial scrubber should be used on freshly washed face, and your skin should stay wet or damp during the entire treatment. Also, using facial steamer right before using skin scrubber will provide more intense and spa-like results. Once skin scrubber is “on”, you move it slowly along the wet skin surface, which creates a “pressure washing” effect. You can also control direction, angle and pressure of your ultrasonic tool. Moreover, as high frequency vibrations loosen and remove impurities on the surface of the skin, you’ll be able to see all the gunk on the tip of your spatula.
In general, skin spatula was designed as a face tool, but it can also be used on neck and chest area if needed.
Even though this tool is user-friendly, there is a learning curve. So if you want to get the most out of your ultrasonic skin scrubbing, watch few tutorial videos on how to use this device properly.
At a glance:
- Best affordable skin scrubber: MISERWE Skin Cleansing Scrubber
- Best professional grade: Zemits SonoSilk Skin Scrubber
- Overall best: Vanity Planet Ultrasonic Wand
Who Can Use Skin Spatula
Ultrasonic skin scrubber is great deep cleansing and pore extracting tool for home use. All in all, people with all skin types can use it. But it will benefit the most those with oily and acne prone skin, clogged pores and blackheads.
- Congested pores
- Large pores
- Oily skin
- Acne-prone skin
- Sensitive skin
There are many advantages of using ultrasonic skin scrubbers/spatulas. But, one of the main benefits of ultrasonic skin scrubber is its deep cleansing feature. This tool helps to unclog pores by removing dirt, blackheads, comedons, dead skin cells and impurities. As a result, it prevents oil build up and future breakouts, and contributes to more clear and flawless skin.
Also, in comparison to manual extraction, ultrasonic skin spatula doesn’t damage skin, and is a great option for sensitive skin type. Moreover, skin scrubber enhances penetration of skin care products.
Here’s a short round up of the benefits of ultrasonic skin scrubber:
- Deep cleanses
- Unclogs pores and removes blackheads
- Exfoliates dead skin
- Balances oil production
- Prevents future breakouts
- Clarifies skin
- Tighter looking pores
- Improves skin texture and tone
- Improves absorption of skincare products
- Gentler than other form of extraction and exfoliation
- Safe for sensitive skin
Benefits Of Ultrasonic Skin Scrubber
1. Unclogs pores and removes blackheads. Ultrasonic skin scrubber is particularly helpful for those with clogged pores. The high frequency ultrasonic vibration produced by skin spatula helps open up skin pores and loosen up dirt and oils. As a result, all the excess oils and skin debris can be effectively scrubbed away with the ultrasonic skin spatula.
2. Gently exfoliates dead skin. One of the benefits of ultrasonic skin scrubber is its ability to gently exfoliate skin. In addition to loosing up dirt and oils, skin spatula also loosens up and gently removes dead skin cells.
3. Deep cleansing. Since ultrasonic skin scrubber is effective in unclogging pores, extracting blackheads and removing dead skin cells, it’s a great deep cleansing tool for home use.
4. Prevents future breakouts. As a result of removing excess oil trapped under the layer of dead skin and clearing clogged pores, ultrasonic face scrubber helps prevent future breakouts. That’s why it particularly beneficial for those with oily and acne prone skin.
5. Smaller looking pores. Even though it’s not possible to physically shrink the size of pores, it is possible to make them look smaller. Actually, pores can appear smaller in size when they are unclogged and deep cleansed. And since one of the benefits of ultrasonic skin scrubber is clearing clogged pores, the scrubber also contributes to smaller and tighter looking pores.
6. Improves skin texture and tone. The removal of dead skin, deep cleansing and unclogging pores also reveals brighter and smoother looking skin. And in a long run it results in improved skin tone and texture.
7. Safe alternative to other forms of extraction and exfoliation. Among other benefits of ultrasonic skin scrubber is how gentle it is even for sensitive skin types. Ultrasonic spatula is a great option for those who can’t tolerate abrasive face scrubs, chemical peels, or microdermabrasion treatment. Also, it’s painless and more gentle than manual extraction.
8. Improves absorption of skincare products. Overall, dead skin, excess oils and grime create a barrier on the surface of the skin, which makes it hard for skincare product to penetrate. However, ultrasonic skin scrubber removes that barrier and allows the skin to better absorb serums, moisturizers, etc., and at the same time enhances the benefits of skincare products. Additionally, the ultrasonic vibrations create a downward pull, so that skincare product absorbs deeper.
Cons & Side Effects
∅ Even though most ultrasonic skin scrubbers are user friendly, there is a learning curve how to use these face tools properly.
∅ Minor skin tissue damage is possible if too much pressure is applied to face spatula or if it’s not used properly.
∅ Facial skin can turn slightly pink after the procedure (depends on sensitivity and applied pressure).
∅ The ultrasonic noise from the device (people can’t hear it) might freak out your pets.
5 Best Ultrasonic Skin Scrubbers (2021 review)
An average ultrasonic scrubber is about 6”-7” long, and ranges between $20-$150 for home devices, and can cost over $200 for professional grade devices. Overall, these beauty tools have similar design, and an average rechargeable battery usually lasts for 3-4 sessions.
Many ultrasonic skin scrubbers combine different anti-aging technologies, and offer few modes within one device. For example, in addition to high frequency vibrations, some skin spatulas also incorporate either microcurrents, skincare infusers, lifting or advance ion technology.
Zemits SonoSilk Skin Scrubber
Professional grade ultrasonic skin scrubber designed by U.S. brand that specialized in spa equipment. What sets this device apart from other skin spatulas is a built-in nano sprayer that can hold 0.5 fl.oz, which is very convenient in keeping the skin wet during the treatment. In addition, this scrubber also comes with a built-in blue LED light (430 nm), which targets acne-causing bacteria and is effective in treating skin inflammation.
Overall, SonoSilk is powerful tool that produces 28,000 Hz ultrasonic vibrations, and offers 4 treatments – extract, exfoliate, infuse and rejuvenate. Moreover, it features a wireless technology, long lasting battery, and IPX5 waterproof level. It also comes in a nice-looking black gift box.
Key features: 28k Hz, 4 modes, nano sprayer, blue LED light, waterproof
MISERWE Skin Cleansing Scrubber
This face spatula is well beloved by skincare enthusiasts due to its affordability. Even though it produces a smaller number of vibrations per second (24,000 Hz), it is quite powerful since it’s designed with 4 treatment modes. That is to say the cleaning and lifting modes are self explanatory, while the “ion+ mode” unclogs pores, and “ion- mode“ enhances skincare absorption.
Another cool feature of this ultrasonic skin scrubber is its built-in timer, which will turn-off the device automatically after 5 minutes of use. Moreover, the device comes with two silicone heads for more customizable treatments, dust cover, and USB charger. However, this spatula is not waterproof, so don’t use it in the shower.
Also comes as newer version with mini LCD control panel and heating feature.
Key features: 24k Hz, 4 modes, extra silicone heads, affordable.
Skin Gym Ultrasonic Lumiscrub Facial Pro Spatula
This professional grade spatula is fairly priced taking into consideration its multi-functionality. To begin with, it features microcurrent and advanced ion technology in addition to 24,000 Hz per second ultrasonic vibrations. And 3 modes allow you to choose treatments like lifting, moisturizing, or cleaning. Moreover, this lightweight ultrasonic skin scrubber can be used with cleanser, exfoliator, serum, oil or moisturizer.
Unlike many other face spatulas, this innovative tool is waterproof. And a sleek design and vibrant pink color add a nice feminine touch.
Key features: 24k Hz, 3 modes, microcurrent, waterproof
Vanity Planet Essia Ultrasonic Lifting & Exfoliating Wand
Made by a reputable skincare brand this ultrasonic wand combines high frequency vibration of 30,000 Hz and electrical muscle stimulation (EMS) technology. In addition, this device offers 3 treatment modes: exfoliate, moisturize, and lift.
Another advantage of this ultrasonic skin scrubber is wireless charging. It comes with charging base and AC adapter, and fully charged battery lasts for few hours.
Even though the spatula head is made of stainless steel, the device itself is not waterproof, and is not recommended for the use in the shower.
Key features: 30k Hz, 3 modes, EMS, clears pores + lifting
Dermaflash Dermapore Ultrasonic Extractor & Infuser
The benefits of this 2-in-1 spa-quality ultrasonic skin scrubber include unclogging pores and infusing skincare products. In addition to the sleek design, the device is very comfortable to use. The uniquely shaped rounded spatula is made of stainless steel, and water-resistant silicone body comes in few different colors.
Overall, this ultrasonic skin scrubber produces high frequency vibrations of 33,000 Hz per second, and offers two modes. For example, Extract mode unclogs pores, and removes dirt and blackheads. While the Infuse mode produces tapping vibrations that enhance serum or cream penetration. Dermapore tool comes with USB charger, device stand and protective spatula cap.
Key features: 33k Hz, 2 modes, pore extractor + serum infuser
How often should you use ultrasonic scrubber?
Since ultrasonic skin scrubber is considered a deep cleansing and exfoliating tool, it’s not recommended for daily use.
Depending on how congested your skin is, you can use skin spatula 1-3 times a week. And an average ultrasound facial treatment session usually lasts for about 2-5 minutes.
Even though most ultrasonic skin scrubbers are designed with stainless steel spatula heads (which are very hygienic), it is recommended to sanitize the device with alcohol after each use.
√ Pro Tip: For best results steam your face first and keep skin wet during the entire session.
Related: How High Frequency Argon Wand clears up acne.
Adkisson, C. “Enhancing exfoliation with electronics.” The International Dermal Institute, Apr. 2019
Ganceviciene R, Liakou A.I, Theodoridis A, Makrantonaki E, Zouboulis C.C. “Skin anti-aging strategies.” Dermatoendocrinol, Jul. 2012, Vol. 4
Gold, M. “Noninvasive skin tightening treatment.” Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology, Jun. 2015.
Newton V. L, Mcconnell J. C, Hibbert S. A., Graham H. K, Watson R. E. “Skin aging: molecular pathology, dermal remodeling and the imaging revolution.” Giornale Italiano Dermatol Venereol, Dec. 2015 Dec, Vol. 6